Baku Sakashita is a Japanese designer and artisan.
His work is characterized by meticulous details created by his own hands.
He holds a Bachelor of Medicine and initially started his career as a medical doctor. However, he decided to be a designer based on his innate passion for giving shape to objects. After acquiring a MA from Musashino Art University in Japan, he enrolled in MAS of ECAL in Switzerland as a scholarship student of the Swiss government and graduated with the highest honors (mention très bien). Soon after the graduation, he established STUDIO BAKU in 2018 where mainly he has been producing limited and bespoke lightings made by hands.
So far he won many awards including the 3rd prize of SaloneSatellite Award in 2019 and the encouragement award of the 57th Japan Craft Exhibition in 2018.
His representative work “SUKI” was selected as Graduate Directory 2018 by Wallpaper* magazine. SUKI has been exhibited at world-renowned galleries such as Rossana Orlandi Gallery and Saatchi Gallery.
- Milano Design City, collective exhibition at Rossana Orlandi Gallery, 2020, Italy
- Rossana Orlandi Summer Gallery in Sardgna, 2020, Italy
- From SaloneSatellite to Rinascente, 2019, Italy
- Milano Salone Satellite, 2019, Italy
- Collect 2019, curated by Mint , 2019, UK
- DESIGNART TOKYO 2018, Japan
- TRANS-FORM at Mint during London Design Festival, 2018, UK
- Milano Salone Satellite, 2018, Italy
- THE 57th JAPAN CRAFT EXHIBITION, 2018, Japan
- THE INTERNATIONAL HOKURIKU KOGEI SUMMIT “WORLDS KOGEI 100’’
at the Toyama Prefectural Museum of Art and Design, 2017, Japan
- Re-importation at Axis Gallery, 2017, Japan
- ECAL Graduation Show 2017, 2017, Switzerland
- Longlisted at Dezeen Awards 2019, UK
- Salone Satellite Award 2019 3rd prize, 2019, Italy
- Merit Award at the Shinsyu Design Competition 2018, 2018, Japan
- Encouragement award at THE 57th JAPAN CRAFT EXHIBITION, 2018, Japan
- Selected craftsman at U-50 INTERNATIONAL HOKURIKU KOGEI (artisan crafts) AWARDS, 2017, Japan
- Department award at Musashino Art University Degree Show, 2016, Japan