Baku Sakashita is a Japanese designer and craftsman. Holding bachelor’s degree of Medicine, he initially started to work as medical doctor. However driven by his strong passion for making objects by hand, he decided to change his career to designer. He obtained a MA in design in Musashino Art University in Tokyo, Japan. After graduating ECAL/Ecole Cantonale d'Art de Lausanne in MAS in Design for Luxury and Craftsmanship with distinction (mention très bien) in 2017 as a scholar of Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships, he founded STUDIO BAKU in Tokyo, Japan.
He is active in an area halfway point between design and handcraft while placing importance on handcrafted forms.
- Merit Award at the Shinsyu Design Competition 2018, 2018, Japan
- Honorable mention at THE 57th JAPAN CRAFT EXHIBITION, 2018, Japan
- Selected craftsman at THE INTERNATIONAL HOKURIKU KOGEI SUMMIT
“WORLDS KOGEI (artisan crafts) 100’’, 2017, Japan
- Honorable mention at Musashino Art University Degree Show, 2016, Japan
- Milano Salone Satellite, 2018, Italy
- THE 57th JAPAN CRAFT EXHIBITION at Tokyo Midtown Design HUB, Japan
- THE INTERNATIONAL HOKURIKU KOGEI SUMMIT “WORLDS KOGEI 100’’
at the Toyama Prefectural Museum of Art and Design, Japan
- Re-importation at Axis Gallery, Japan