Baku Sakashita is a Japanese designer and craftsman. He holds a Bachelor of Medicine and initially started his career as a medical doctor. In 2016, he obtained an MA in design from Musashino Art University in Tokyo, Japan. After graduating from ECAL/Ecole Cantonale d'Art de Lausanne with a MAS in Design for Luxury and Craftsmanship with highest honours in 2017 as a scholarship student of the Swiss government, he founded STUDIO BAKU in Tokyo, Japan. He is active in a halfway point between design and craft while placing importance on handcrafted forms.
His representative work “SUKI” was selected as Graduate Directory 2018 by Wallpaper* magazine. SUKI has also been exhibited at world-renowned galleries such as Rossana Orlandi Gallery.
He won many awards including Salone Satellite Award 2019 3rd prize, Rising Talent Awards 2022 at Maison&Objet and Encouragement award at THE 57th JAPAN CRAFT EXHIBITION.
- Mason&Objet, Rising Talent Awards, 2022, France
- Milano Design City, collective exhibition at Rossana Orlandi Gallery, 2020, Italy
- Rossana Orlandi Summer Gallery in Sardgna, 2020, Italy
- From SaloneSatellite to Rinascente, 2019, Italy
- Milano Salone Satellite, 2019, Italy
- Collect 2019, curated by Mint , 2019, UK
- DESIGNART TOKYO 2018, Japan
- TRANS-FORM at Mint during London Design Festival, 2018, UK
- Milano Salone Satellite, 2018, Italy
- THE 57th JAPAN CRAFT EXHIBITION, 2018, Japan
- THE INTERNATIONAL HOKURIKU KOGEI SUMMIT “WORLDS KOGEI 100’’
at the Toyama Prefectural Museum of Art and Design, 2017, Japan
- Re-importation at Axis Gallery, 2017, Japan
- ECAL Graduation Show 2017, 2017, Switzerland
- Rising Talent Awards, Maison&Objet, 2022, France
- Longlisted at Dezeen Awards 2019, UK
- Salone Satellite Award 2019 3rd prize, 2019, Italy
- Merit Award at the Shinsyu Design Competition 2018, 2018, Japan
- Encouragement award at THE 57th JAPAN CRAFT EXHIBITION, 2018, Japan
- Selected craftsman at U-50 INTERNATIONAL HOKURIKU KOGEI (artisan crafts) AWARDS, 2017, Japan
- Department award at Musashino Art University Degree Show, 2016, Japan